Many people need a tactical flashlight associated with a laser sight. You can find cheap items at your local gun dealer. But if you are serious about your equipment, you need a professional tool such as the Streamlight TLR-4. This ultra bright flashlight is designed to fit most compact and sub-compact handguns but will also fit most full-sized handguns with standardized rails. You’ll find it a perfect fit whether you are a police officer, a soldier, a security guard or even for your own self-defense at home.
Light emitter and illumination
The TLR-4Â is equipped with the Cree’s C4 LED light emitter. Compared with a classical incandescent or even to a xenon bulb, this chip is known to be almost indestructible, withstanding heat, shock and rugged treatment in the field and low power consumption with regards to its high lighting power. The C4 LED has no glass or filament, therefore it is virtually unbreakable. It has a practically almost infinite life, around 50,000 hours according to the manufacturer.
C4 LED output is rated at 110 lumens.
- This is not too much compared with other full sized tactical flashlights. But you will see the difference when you try shooting straight with one of those mounted to your handgun.
- However it is still enough light power to blind an opponent at night.
The sight is provided by a 640-660nm red laser which allows precise, long range targeting. The light can run for up to 11 hours with laser only. You must exercise caution with the LED Radiation (RG-2):
- Do Not Stare into Beam as it may be harmful to eyes.
Electronics and power
The Streamlight TLR-4Â is equipped with an electronic circuitry which provides a regulated intensity output.
- Light will not change its brightness nearing the end of the battery.
The light is powered by a single 3v CR2 battery. It is a lithium non-rechargeable battery. Therefore, usual care for this type of battery must be exercised:
- DO NOT recharge, misuse, short circuit, improperly store or discard, disassemble, or heat above 212Â°F (100Â°C).
- Keep away from children.
- For safety reasons, the flashlight must be removed from the firearm before the battery compartment is opened or closed.
At the end of the battery life, the switch may appear intermittent or non-functional. Replacing the battery will restore normal operation.
The dimensions of the Streamlight TLR-4Â are: Length: 2.73 in. (6.93 cm) Width: 1.20 in. (3.05 cm) Height: 1.99 in. (5.05 cm). The weight is: 2.81 oz (79.7 grams) with battery (included with purchase).
The user interface consists of two controls: an ambidextrous On-Off switch a mode control.
The light was designed for a one-handed installation with a snap-on mounting interface. It can be tightened without any tools and by one hand.
- This design keeps your hands away from muzzle while installing and un-installing.
Two adjustment screws mounted in brass bushing are provided. One is the windage adjustment located on the left hand side of the laser cartridge. It allows for adjusting the laser to the left or to the right. The other screw is the elevation adjustment, located on the underside of the cartridge. It allows for adjusting the laser up or down.
- With these adjustments, it is possible to keep the bullet strike within about 2 inches high or low out to about 100 feet.
The case is made of an impact-resistant engineered polymer body with aircraft grade 6000 series aluminum with black anodized finish facecap. This arrangement combines the best of both worlds.
- It is lightweight where it counts. It minimizes weight distribution disruption as much as possible on the handgun.
- It can withstand accidental and intentional bumps and scratches.
The front lens is made of BorofloatÂ® glass. This material is a high temperature glass featuring high thermal and chemical resistance, excellent transparency and low thermal coefficient of expansion. It is made from natural raw materials:
- The optical performance of your gun light is enhanced.
- It is harmless to both humans and the environment.
The reflector is a textured parabolic shape allowing for a concentrated central beam with optimum peripheral illumination.
- The center beam will illuminate the target while the surroundings will be adequately lit.
The design provides for excellent resistance characteristics:
The flashlight is serialized with a serial number engraved on the body for positive identification:
- You won’t get your light mixed up with others.
This flashlight is backed by the Streamlight limited lifetime warranty except for batteries and bulbs, abuse and normal wear and tear. In addition, rechargeable batteries, chargers, switches and electronics have a 2-year warranty with proof of purchase.
- Flashlight will be replaced, repaired or refunded in case it is determined to be defective.
This light fits a broad range of weapons with an adapter kit provided with interchangeable mounting keys. The list shown here below represents only handguns checked by Streamlight. The TLR-4Â will fit many other guns with Glock or Picatinny style rails. Adapters Â Keys are available for mounting on a wide variety of weapons. The drawback is that your gun equipped with the light will not fit your current holster.
PX4 Storm Subcompact
92/96 Tick Adapter
|Smith & Wesson:||TSW
|Glock rail:||Any equipped models||Springfield:||1911 Operator
|Kimber:||TLE/RL II||Walther:||Walther P22
|Ruger:||SR-9||1913 Picattiny rail:||Any equipped models|
We can summarize this Streamlight TLR-4 reviewÂ with the following description: